BCAA encourages spring maintenance to safeguard costly repairs
March 24, 2010
While many areas of British Columbia experienced mild weather conditions this winter, it’s still important to conduct basic spring maintenance to prevent small problems from becoming big home emergencies. BCAA Insurance sees the results of homeowner neglect, and encourages B.C. residents to take preventative measures to save themselves from the inconvenience and costs of major repairs.
BCAA’s spring maintenance checklist includes:
- Clean any debris from eavestroughs and downspouts, reattach any sections that are loose, replace any sections that are damaged, and make sure that the flow of water discharges away from your foundations.
- Complete a visual inspection of your roof. If you see any debris, damaged or missing shingles, consult a qualified tradesperson to remove and repair.
- Caulk and reseal windows and doors. Also, check flashing around chimneys, skylights and roof valleys.
- Check your furnace, air-exchanger, kitchen exhaust hoods and air-conditioner filters, and clean or replace them, if needed.
- Check your hot water tank for leaks and to see if your pressure relief valve is working properly.
- Replace batteries and check all smoke detectors, CO2 monitors and fire extinguishers. Review your fire escape plan with your family.
- Check for pest infestations such as mice, termites and carpenter ants.
- Examine the foundation walls for cracks, leaks or signs of moisture.
- Examine exterior steps, decks, porches and balconies for weak or broken railings and posts. Inspect deck surfaces and walkways for slippery moss and mildew.
- Trim or remove nearby trees that may pose a danger to your home.
- Protect all your electrical appliances from power surges and lightening. Replace all extension cords that have become brittle, worn or damaged.
- As part of your spring maintenance, review your home insurance policy to ensure that your coverage for home and personal belongings still meets your needs. Talk to your insurance agent about any changes you need to make.