To be eligible for Simplified Renewal:
- you must have been at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application;
- your name on the application form is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport;
- you submit a previous Canadian passport that:
- was/is valid for five (5) years;
- is not damaged;
- was never reported lost or stolen; and
- Either was issued to you in Canada (see issuing authority on page 2 of the passport) and is valid or expired for no more than one year;
- Or, was issued to you outside of Canada (see issuing authority on page 2 of the passport) after April 30, 2006.
What to submit
If you are eligible to use the Simplified Renewal Process, you must provide the following:
When you use the Simplified Renewal Application Process, you do not have to resubmit proof of Canadian citizenship, supplementary identification or guarantor information.
The processing times are the same for all types of applications.
*The new photos do not need to be signed by anyone. However, the name and address of the photographer or studio, as well as the date the photos were taken, must be provided on the back of one photo.
How to apply
The Simplified Renewal Application Process can only be used when applying for a passport: