ICBC Autoplan is now a phone call away
BCAA Service Locations are currently closed to walk-in visitors in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. We're now equipped to offer the following ICBC Autoplan services by phone (1-888-268-2222) Mon to Sat, 9am - 5pm:
- Policy changes
- Storage policies
Wait time update: the average call centre wait time is 35 mins (with the highest call volume first thing in the morning and after lunch) but you will have the option to request a callback from the phone queue. If you have more time before coverage is required, you have the option to fill out the below form and we will get back to you within 2 business days to complete your transaction.
Before renewing your ICBC Autoplan, you'll need:
- Access to your email during the call
- Your insurance papers or your ICBC renewal notice
- The BC driver’s license number and date of birth for each driver you want to add to your policy (pre-list drivers & get an estimate online)
- If you drive less than 5,000 km in a year, a picture of your current odometer reading
- If you’re setting up a new payment plan, an email of your preauthorized debit or VOID cheque
The following can be requested online directly with ICBC:
- ICBC payment plan deferral
- Download an ICBC transfer form
- ICBC driving record
- Driver’s license address change
- Paying a violation ticket
- Checklist for out of province vehicle registrations
- Checklist for estate transfers
BCAA is now equipped to sell or renew most ICBC Autoplan services by phone (1-888-268-2222). You’ll need access to your email in order to complete the purchase or renew over the phone. For service, you can also submit a call back request and we’ll reach out to you to complete your ICBC Autoplan transaction.
We can help with following ICBC Autoplan transactions by phone:
- Policy changes
- Storage policies
- Temporary operating permits
- Transfers of Ownership
- Out of Province
We accept the following methods of payments over the phone:
- Credit card
- Payment plan (for eligible new plans an email of your preauthorized debit form or VOID cheque is required)
Customers facing financial hardship due to COVID-19 now have the option to defer their monthly ICBC insurance payment(s) for up to 90 days. The following option is available to defer your monthly ICBC payments:
- Use ICBC’s online resource tool to apply for a deferral, by 6pm at least one business day before your next payment is due
ICBC is committed to being flexible during this time. There will be no penalty if customers choose to defer their monthly payment and ICBC will also be waiving their policy that only allows a customer to defer their payments once per policy term. For customers whose monthly payment is returned (insufficient funds, etc.), ICBC will also waive the $18 associated NSF fee upon request.
Please submit a call back request online and we’ll reach out to you within 4 business days to complete your ICBC Autoplan transaction by phone. If your expiry date is within 4 days, we will try to prioritize your call sooner.
Preparing for Your Transaction
Our expert advisors will walk you through the ICBC Autoplan renewal process by phone, but here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll be asked to send us an email requesting service by phone
- You’ll be asked to verify your identity
- You can pay for your ICBC Autoplan by credit card or by payment plan
- Your policy documents will be emailed to you
- You’ll be asked to review your policy documents and provide electronic approval of your policy by email before completing your renewal/sale
- After you’ve reviewed and approved your policy documents, your decal will be mailed to you and you’ll receive a copy of your policy documents
Tip: Before renewing your ICBC Autoplan by phone, make sure to have your ICBC renewal notice and BC driver's licence on hand. You will also need access to your email to complete the transaction.
How long it takes really depends on the type of transaction and if you have everything you need prepared ahead of the call.
- Renewals: 30-40min
- Transfers: 45 min
- Out of Province Vehicles: 1.5 hours
- Estates: 45min
In order to serve you by phone, you'll need access to your email during the call.
What you need really depends on the type of transaction you need to complete by phone. If supporting documents are required, we will need a scanned copy or photograph emailed to us during the call. Please ensure you have all documents prepared prior to calling in.
When renewing your car insurance, please have your ICBC Autoplan renewal notice and/or insurance papers and BC driver's licence on hand. If you are adding additional drivers, please be prepared with the driver’s licence number and date of birth for each driver you want to add to your policy. Alternatively, you can pre-list those who drive your car and get an estimate online within 44 days of your expiry date.
Tip: To reduce coverage all registered owners will need to be available by phone and email at the same time.
Transfer of Ownerships
All registered owners of the vehicle will need to be available by phone and email during the call. Owners should be prepared with their driver's licence as well as the driver’s licence number and date of birth for each driver you want to add to your policy.
Please go to ICBC.com for steps on how to transfer ownership of a vehicle and what you will need for support documents. Due to COVID-19, the Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) is temporarily available for download; please note that original signatures are still required.
Out of Province Vehicles
To ensure you’re prepared, check out ICBC’s helpful Checklist for Out-of-Province Vehicle Registration which outlines vehicle requirements and what support documents are required to register a new or used vehicle imported to BC from a Canadian province, the U.S. or a foreign country. Please note that this checklist has not been updated with the new over the phone process in place due to COVID-19. You will need access to your email during the call and will have to email a copy (scan or clear picture) of all support documents, including the APV9T and your driver’s license. If possible, we recommend getting your BC driver's license first to ensure you are eligible for available discounts! Check out ICBC’s website on how to apply for a BC licence.
ICBC has created a Checklist for Estate Transfers to help you summarize what support documents and signatures are required. We’re here to help, please allow approximately 45 minutes to complete this transaction with us over the phone.
Tip: Be prepared to email us (a scan or photo) any support documents required.
As a reminder, in order to serve you by phone you'll need access to your email during the call. Plus, please be prepared to email us (a scan or photo) of any support documents required.
- If your car is driven less than 5,000 km in a year, be prepared with a picture of your current odometer reading (a potential discount may apply at your next renewal).
- Check your owner’s manual, or with your dealership, to see if your vehicle has factory-installed autonomous emergency braking (AEB). Vehicles equipped with AEB will be eligible for a discount.
After you’ve completed your ICBC Autoplan renewal by phone, both your decals, plate (if applicable) and hard copies of your insurance documents will be mailed to you. When the transaction is complete your coverage is in place and you can drive your vehicle before the decal arrives in the mail but please carry a copy of your insurance documents in your vehicle.
Yes. You can pre-list those who drive your car and get an estimate online within 44 days of your expiry date. To pre-list drivers you’ll need the driver’s license number and date of birth for each driver you want to add to your policy.
Offering expert advice, useful articles, inspiring stories and simple tips to help you navigate life’s many roads.