Please note: effective July 1st, 2013, Passport Canada will be increasing Passport fees with the introduction of the new e-Passport and 10 year e-Passport option for adults. For more information please visit the Passport Canada website.
Passport photos and general information
BCAA provides passport photo services, passport applications and International Driver Permits which allow you to drive in foreign countries with your B.C. licence. We also provide photography services for other travel documents including travel visas and International Drivers Permits.
Five step application process for Canadians living in Canada
Canadian passports are renewable. If you qualify for the Simplified Passport Renewal application, click here for more information. To prevent delays in processing your General Passport Application, follow these five steps:
- Obtain an application form.
- Use Passport Online available only to Canadians 16 years of age or over
- Download an electronic form
- Pick-up an application form at any BCAA location, Canada Post outlet or Service Canada Centre
- Complete all applicable sections of the application form.
- Personal information
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (As of February 1, 2011, Passport Canada will accept only a birth certificate or a certificate of citizenship as proof of citizenship. For more information, please visit Passport Canada.)
- Documents to support identity
- Obtain two identical passport photos from BCAA.
- Have your guarantor complete and sign the “Declaration of Guarantor” section of your application form and sign at least one of your photos.
- Submit your application form.
Ways to submit your application
Apply in person
At a Passport Canada Office: Processing time is ten business days not including the day the application is submitted.
At Canada Post: Processing time is 20 business days (4 weeks) not including shipping. An additional $20 fee is applicable.
At Service Canada Centers: Processing time is 20 business days.
Passport Online is an interactive application that will guide you through all sections of the form and ensures all relevant sections are filled out. It takes approximately 20-40 minutes to complete the online application. You must be 16 years or older.
Tip: Use the system during off-peak hours including weeknights from 6 pm to 3 am PT and on weekends.
You will need to:
- Register with epass Canada,
- Complete the passport online form,
- Print your application form and sign it,
- Have your guarantor sign your form and one of your photos, and present your application with supporting documents to one of the Passport office intake locations/receiving agents
- Or mail it in with the supporting documents.
Apply by mail
It's recommended to send your documents by certified mail or through an express delivery courier (i.e. FedEx, UPS, Purolator, etc.) that provides a tracking number. It's also a good idea to send a pre-paid trackable return envelope with your passport documents.
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Gatineau, QC K1A 0G3
22 de Varennes Building
22 de Varennes Street
Gatineau, QC J8T 8R1
16 & over
Click here for US entrance requirements.
Additional passport information
It might help to know that:
- Busiest hours are 11:00am to 4:00pm
- One out of every four passports applications submitted by mail is declined – this could result in months of waiting or missed travel plans
- There is a zero rejection rate for those who actually stand in the local passport office line to submit their application
- To obtain urgent, express or pick-up services you must apply in person at a Passport Canada service location. Information is valid as of June 23, 2011. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Confirm with your local passport office prior to travel
*** All application times do not include mailing time.
Processing times are issued by Passport Canada and may be longer than stated. Passport Canada is experiencing a sharp volume increase in passport applications in all of its offices, by mail and through its receiving agents. Due to this increase in volume, it may take up to 10 weeks before you receive your new passport. Information is valid as of June 23, 2011.
All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Confirm with your local passport offce prior to travel.