Back to School Traffic Safety Tips
As the summer comes to an end, school zones come alive with children and parents returning to usher in a new year of learning. With this increase in traffic comes a need for increased attention from parents who are dropping off and picking up their children, along with drivers who are passing through these busy spaces. Here are some tips to help make school zones safer for everyone.
- Build in time to prevent rushing. We understand the pressure parents can feel when it comes to dropping off and picking up their children. Anticipate school zone congestion and give yourself extra time to get through it safely.
- Expect the unexpected. Look out for safety risks such as kids darting from cars, along with kids who are cycling and other pedestrians.
- Follow school zone rules. Respect your school’s drop off and pick up procedures, along with traffic rules such as driving within the speed limit, stopping at marked cross walks and not driving distracted.
- Reduce congestion. Consider walking, cycling with your child or parking a few blocks away and walking your child the rest of the way to school.
- Focus on what you can control. No matter what’s going on around you, be patient and courteous. Reacting with extreme frustration may aggravate the situation and increase the risk of unsafe behaviours.