Skip to main content

Prepare your child for post-secondary school and ‘adulting’

Whether your child is moving out or staying home for post-secondary, it’s clear they’re about to gain a new kind of independence. Here are tips and savings to help prepare your child for their new journey into ‘adulting’—and keep them protected at the same time.

1. Give them a head start with high tech gear.

Equipment such as computer accessories, a tablet, high tech calculator, digital camera or portable speakers are useful tools for school. We could also recommend video gaming equipment but we figure you probably want them to be studying instead. Use your BCAA Membership card to get more for less in academic supplies and electronics at The Source where Members save up to 20% on regular and sale items.

2. Set them up with their own Membership for more savings and protection.

Get your child their own BCAA Membership if they’re moving out or an Associate Membership if they’re staying at home. By showing their Membership card, your hard-working student can save at places like Blenz Coffee, FreshSlice Pizza and to get re-energized for class or exams. If they need a break from studying, they can also save at Landmark Cinemas where they can escape with a good rom-com, suspense thriller or action movie. Plus, they’ll be covered by the best roadside assistance no matter whose car they’re riding in.

3. Get them a ‘car’ for flexibility and safety—better yet, make it 1250 cars.

Busy students need to get around quickly, transport groceries and get home safely. Until October 15, 2018, for $5, you can get the student in your life (18 and up!) an Evo Membership along with 75 driving minutes and access to 1250 cars (parking, gas and insurance included). Evo Car Share is at campuses around town including UBC, SFU, CapU, BCIT, Douglas College and more.

4. Keep them protected with insurance.

Speak to your insurance advisor about your child’s post-secondary arrangements. If your child will live at home, review your home insurance policy to keep their high-priced academic equipment and other electronics covered for theft, loss or damage. If your child is moving into a dorm or rental suite, they should think about getting their own content insurance which also protects them against residential mishaps such as a fire or water damage from a burst pipe for example.

Get more back-to-school ideas and deals with your Membership

Visit for more great Member offers and savings at over 100,000 partner locations across BC and worldwide.