A guide to the Canucks 50th Anniversary Season
The 50th Season celebration honours five decades of Vancouver Canucks hockey from Stanley Cup runs to generational lines and players to unforgettable moments in franchise history. As an exciting new era of Canucks hockey begins, it’s never been a better time to be a fan. Plus, BCAA Members save up to 30% on select Canucks tickets when you buy online.
New to hockey? Here’s why you should see a live game
Picture this—an arena filled with superfans, loud cheers, smiles, high-fives and nail-biting plays. Whether you’re a major fan or have little knowledge about the sport, hockey will get you out of your seat. Really, it’s near impossible not to cheer.
And, hockey is fast-paced. The puck can travel over 150 km/h, the players are also super speedy, and a goal can be scored in the blink of an eye. You don’t need to know much about hockey to appreciate the skill in skating or passing the puck and shooting it into the net. And of course, how can you not appreciate the skill it takes a goalie to block a speeding puck?
Now, if a game goes into overtime—pffsst! It’s edge-of-your-seat entertainment especially when it comes to those sudden death shootouts. Yes, hockey will get you out of your seat.
What’s in store for Canucks games
With an ere of optimism and excitement around the team, coupled with the 50th Anniversary celebrations, this season is primed to be one for the ages. Without a doubt, the most passionate Canucks fans will try to catch all 82 games. However, here are a few unique games celebrating the team’s golden anniversary making this a season that even the most casual fan shouldn’t miss.
- Opening Night, Wednesday, October 9th versus the Los Angeles Kings. This is the anniversary date with the first Canucks opponent from their debut season in 1970.71. And, many fans will be wearing jerseys from the team’s 50th Anniversary collection throughout the season, so hit the Team Store to show your true colours! Just flash your valid BCAA Membership card to save 10% at the Canucks Team Store.
- Friday, October 25th versus Washington Capital. The Canucks will join millions around the world to celebrate the festival of lights, Diwali.
Tuesday, November 5th versus defending Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues. A 1970's themed celebration where the greats of the inaugural decade of Canucks hockey will be honoured.
- Sunday, December 1st versus the Edmonton Oilers. A BCAA sponsored night, this game brings two Northwestern teams face to face. Join us for an exciting time and heads up—we’ll be kicking off a brand-new BCAA contest with a grand prize you’ll definitely want dibs on!
- Tuesday, December 3rd, Alex Burrows Ring of Honour Night. On the evening when the Canucks take on the Ottawa Senators, Alex Burrows will become the 7th player inducted into the Canucks Ring of Honour which celebrates Canucks heroes who have made a lasting impact on the franchise. Burrows is a fan favourite for his impassioned play and for scoring some of the biggest goals in franchise history. No one will forget the “dragon slaying” goal in the 2011 Game 7 overtime against the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Saturday, December 7th versus the Buffalo Sabres. A 1980's night celebration where memories of the white towel and the Canucks’ first march to the Stanley Cup Final will be remembered throughout the night.
- Saturday, January 4th versus the New York Rangers. A celebration of all things 1990's, this is when the Canucks don the Black Skate jersey for the first time since the 1996-97 season. That alone makes this a must-attend game.
- Saturday, January 18th versus the San Jose Sharks. The Canucks annual Lunar New Year Game will be played.
February, Sedin Week
Daniel and Henrik Sedin joined the Canucks organization in 1999 and are the only sibling duo in NHL history—and the only players in franchise history—to each record 1,000 career points. Both players’ numbers will be raised to the rafters at the February 12th game against the Chicago Blackhawks and their careers will be celebrated over 3 consecutive home games in February. Here are the games where BCAA Members can save when buying tickets online*.
- Sunday, February 10th versus the Nashville Predators. A special game night celebrating the careers of the four legends who have their numbers already hanging in the rafters: Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Markus Naslund and Pavel Bure.
- Saturday, February 16th versus the Anaheim Ducks. A family-focused weekend matinee game recognizing the Sedins’ widespread off-ice contributions to the community and the province of BC.
- Friday, March 6th versus the Colorado Avalanche. A celebration the 2000’s—arguably the most exciting era of Canucks history. Memories of the West Coast Express, the reign of Lu, and more will be celebrated throughout the night. And of course, there will be dragons and stanchions to note a time of magical playoff memories when heroes emerged, like Alex Burrows who “slayed the dragon” when he notched the series-winning goal against Chicago. And then there's Kevin Bieksa who capitalized on a lucky bounce of a puck off the stanchion onto his hockey stick and buried it into the Sharks' net earning the Canucks a Stanley Cup Final appearance. Ahhh… Good times, good times.
- Sunday, March 15th versus the Winnipeg Jets. A family-fun and festive atmosphere will be in store for those in attendance on Next Generation Day where the club will look ahead to the bright future of hockey in BC.
Saturday, April 4th versus the Vegas Golden Knights. The Canucks wrap up their regular season schedule by honouring their amazing fans who have supported the team for 50 years with Fan Appreciation Night.
BCAA Members save on Canucks tickets
We’re excited to celebrate the Canucks 50th Anniversary Season with you! Members can save up to 30% on select Canucks tickets when buying online* (excludes games on the following dates: Dec 10, Dec 21, Feb 12, Feb 22). Plus, you can save 10% at the Canucks Team Store when you show your valid BCAA Membership card. Buy tickets online now and save!