Five Ways to ‘Fall’ into Fun
The air is crisp, the days are getting shorter, and the hoodies are out in full force — fall has arrived! Autumn activities might look different than usual this year, but there are still plenty of fun things to partake in safely during the season. Here are five ways you can make the most of fall.
The Great Pumpkin
Nothing gets us in the autumn spirit more than visiting the local pumpkin patch with the whole family. One of our lower mainland favourites, Richmond Country Farms, holds an annual event featuring wagon rides, a corn maze, whimsical decorations and more. Head over to the website for the latest 2020 information and schedule updates. COVID-19 protocols are in place, and everyone is asked to wear face coverings.
Here are some other great options to check out around the province:
- Southlands Heritage Farm in Vancouver is a magical escape, right in the city. Pick a pumpkin from their Old Apple Orchard, meet the locals - goats, chickens and horses - or sit by the campfire. (note, due to the pandemic all guests must pre-register)
- Bose Farms in Surrey is operating a corn maze this year in addition to the pumpkin patch. With COVID-19 safety measures in place, it’s a fun activity for all ages.
- Mitchell’s Farm in Victoria is open for u-pick pumpkins, plus don’t forget to grab a haul of fresh local produce and other goodies while you’re there.
- For the best hayride in the Okanagan, head to Mcmillan Farm in Kelowna. Book your visit in advance with their online ticketing system.
- Looking for a pumpkin patch open in your region? You can find a full list here.
What else says Halloween fun like baking up some spooktacular treats? Recipes don’t need to be overly ambitious: these cute banana mummies only require a handful of simple ingredients found in any grocery store, such as bananas, chocolate chips and M&Ms.
Craving a savoury snack instead? All you need to make “pumpkin” tortilla chips are flour tortillas and a pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter.
Another great way to enjoy time indoors is via arts and crafts. BCAA Rewards Partner Indigo carries all kinds of DIY kits to make Halloween crafting easy. We love the Dough Parlour Halloween Gift Set. Everything needed to create spooky shapes is inside the box from scented modelling dough (black licorice, pumpkin spice, marshmallow, and grape) to steel cutters. For more crafting ideas, this list is sure to delight.
Pro tip: Members earn up to 5% in CAA dollars when shopping at Indigo online through the BCAA Rewards portal, which can be used towards Membership Renewal or redeemed on BCAA Insurance products and other services.
Take in the magic of fall by going for a stroll through the trees. With so many great places around the province to marvel at the leaves changing colour, we’ve highlighted a few favourites:
- Queen Elizabeth Park: located right in the heart of Vancouver, QE Park is a seasonal favourite located at the city’s highest point, affording a spectacular view of the forests and greenery below.
- University of British Columbia: tucked between the ocean and mountains, UBC is the perfect oasis just outside the city’s core. And if that isn’t reason enough to visit, the bright foliage surrounding the property every autumn certainly makes it worthwhile.
- Goldstream Provincial Park: come to witness the transition of old-growth temperate rainforest from green to golden. Stay for the salmon run and a hike up Mount Finlayson.
- The Okanagan Valley is renowned for its year-round beauty, but the months between September and November are particularly stunning. Go for a drive along Mission Hill Road for a panorama of West Kelowna’s nature and vineyards.
- Ancient Forest: Few things are better than seeing a vibrant spectrum of colour atop a tree. Unless it’s seeing it on a giant one with a diameter of five metres. The Ancient Forest, or Chun T'oh Whudujut Provincial Park, is also home to 400 unique plant species.
Treat yourself and upgrade outdoor activities with a drink at Blenz Coffee. Try their amazing Maple Latte Macchiato or a Signature Hot Chocolate. Members receive a free beverage upsize and a 10% discount on food items.
Pizza and a movie
As many a rainy evening is on the horizon, it’s the perfect excuse to cozy up on the couch. Load up your favourite streaming service or scour the drawers to dig up those favourite classic Halloween movies.
And don’t forget the take-out! Fortunately, BCAA Rewards has you covered. BCAA Members save at Freshslice Pizza: buy 1 pizza (any size or kind) and save 50% on a 2nd pizza of equal or lesser value.
For additional autumn inspiration, see our exclusive savings on fall essentials. Not a Member? Join today for less than $8 a month to take advantage of these partner offers and more.