Reconnect with simple gestures of kindness
As we continue to stay home and socially distant, many of us feel a loss of connection – to friends, family members and the community at large. This Valentine’s take a moment to show somebody (a friend or even a complete stranger) you care with these simple gestures.
- Post a Valentine’s card or letter to a friend. If you’re buying off-the-shelf, grab one of the unique offerings from a local business like The Regional Assembly of Text.
- Send a message of gratitude and support to frontline healthcare workers and support staff.
- Pick up the phone and call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while (or make a date for a call in the future, so they know to expect it).
- Do an online activity with a friend or family member – cook a meal, watch a movie or play an online game.
- Leave a nice note for a stranger to find.
- Buy a coffee at the drive-through for the person behind you. Hopefully, they’ll pay it forward too!
Share the love with these thoughtful gift ideas
By choosing gifts that are thoughtful, eco-friendly and support the local economy, you can spread the love further and make double (or triple!) the impact. Whether you want to gift them something thoughtful or share an experience, there are plenty of ways to show someone you care.
Homemade gift ideas
When you make a gift for someone, not only will they appreciate what you made, they’ll appreciate the time you took to make it. Here are a few homemade items that are sure to say, “I love you”:
- Bake a batch of Valentine’s treats or create a baking mix in a jar of one of your favourite cookie or cake recipes.
- Bring back the romance of a handwritten love letter.
- Print out a few photos of you and your loved one and make them an album or collage that captures unforgettable memories.
- Make a handmade card using recyclable paper. Crafting is a fun activity to do with kids if they plan to hand out Valentine’s Day cards to school classmates.
- Make a personalized music playlist with your – and their – favourite songs.
Eco-friendly + shared experiences
Here are some gift ideas that help support local businesses and are easy on the planet:
- Pick up a gift card to your favourite local restaurant.
- Give a living plant. Update the conventional bouquet concept by giving a potted plant that can last longer. If you want to stay with the traditional flower route, ask your florist for a bouquet made of flowers found locally that are in season in your area. BCAA Members can save 20% and earn 5% back in CAA Dollars® with Teleflora, which partners with local florists to artistically-arrange and personally deliver your bouquet.
- Empower local artists and support eco-friendly products by purchasing with purpose from BC-based retailers like Giving Gifts, or check out this list to find a unique gift that makes a positive impact.
- Give the gift of a COVID-safe activity: many venues around the province allow limited numbers of visitors through their doors. It’s an excellent opportunity to get out of the house and support your local art gallery, museum or education centre. Grab a gift card or book a timeslot for you and your loved one, and don’t forget to pack your mask! For some ideas, visit our Ways to Save page where you’ll find BCAA Members savings on various attractions.
Bonus idea: The gift of BCAA protection and savings. Okay, we may be biased here, but who says the gift of safety doesn’t show you care? Share the same great benefits of roadside protection and savings that you receive as a BCAA Member by gifting a BCAA Membership (get one online with just a few clicks!).
Love for yourself (you, yes you!)
Don’t forget to give yourself some TLC. Whether you pick a little something up for yourself while gift shopping for others or find some time to relax by taking a stroll through your neighbourhood, watching a movie or doing an online yoga class, take a moment to make it all about you. Here are a few ideas:
- Bring relaxation home with wellness items such as candles, teas and scented oils. Many retailers offer organic options such as Escents, where Members save 10% online on regularly priced aromatherapy products, and DAVIDsTEA, where Members earn 5% back in CAA Dollars online.
- Fill your home with comfy stuff like high-quality bed sheets and pillows and take the first steps towards a great night’s sleep (a gift to yourself that keeps on giving!). Members earn 5% back in CAA Dollars when shopping online at Linen Chest, including their eco-friendly bamboo bedding collection.
- Enjoy your favourite meal at home. Try that new recipe you’ve been eyeing or grab takeout from a local restaurant. And don’t forget dessert.
- Mmm, the sweet stuff. Go ahead and indulge with Godiva Chocolates, where BCAA Members earn 5% back in CAA dollars when purchasing online. And it’s okay not to share!
There’s no denying we could all use a few more warm fuzzy feelings in our lives — especially this year. So, no matter how you choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day, do share the love.