Eligible BC drivers can now renew their ICBC car insurance online. You may have questions about how the changes will impact you when it comes time to renew your policy, and we can help. Here are the details, including what to expect, plus how BCAA will continue to support our Members and customers no matter how you renew.
Online renewals are available for ICBC policies expiring within the next 44 days. While renewing online is a convenient option, you can still renew by phone or in-person if you prefer.
Some policies and vehicles will not be eligible for online renewals, including:
- Jointly owned vehicles (vehicles with multiple owners)
- Leased vehicles, commercial or fleet policies
- Policies that have already expired
- Temporary operating permits
How do I find out if I can renew online?
Simply visit bcaa.com/car where we’ll ask you a few questions to help determine if your policy can be renewed online. Before you get started, make sure to have your renewal documents on hand. If your policy cannot be renewed online, we’ll show you the best way to get in touch with us to renew your car insurance.
While renewing online, can I make changes to my ICBC policy?
During your online renewal, you will not be able to make any changes to your existing coverage, such as adding, removing or upgrading coverage, however you’ll be able to make some changes such as updating your address, changing your listed drivers, your vehicle use and applying for discounts. When renewing online, be sure to submit a photo of your odometer reading if you drive less than 10,000 kilometres in a year as you may qualify for ICBC's distance-based discounts.
If you want to review or make changes to your coverage, contact us today for expert advice, including how you could save with BCAA Optional Car Insurance. BCAA Members save up to 20% on BCAA Optional Car Insurance.
No more license plate decals
To coincide with the launch of online renewals and making car insurance more convenient, British Columbian drivers will no longer be required to display a decal on their licence plate. This change aligns BC with many other provinces in Canada that have already successfully eliminated the need for decals. After May 1, you can remove the decal from your licence plate (leaving it is also fine).
What continues to be important is ensuring that you keep your insurance documents in your vehicle at all times. If you're renewing online, you'll be able to print these out at home, request a copy by mail or, pick up a copy at your local brokers office.
How BCAA will support online renewals
Anything that makes renewing car insurance easier is good news for British Columbians. And while more convenient and flexible options exist, what remains the same is BCAA will be here to support you no matter how you renew.
Just like renewing over the phone or in person, when renewing online, you’ll have the option to choose BCAA as your preferred broker (even if you haven’t renewed with BCAA before). When choosing BCAA during your online renewal, you‘ll have peace of mind knowing our knowledgeable insurance experts will review your policy behind the scenes.
Four easy steps to renewing your car insurance online with BCAA:
- To get started, visit bcaa.com/car and we’ll help determine if your ICBC policy can be renewed online. BCAA Optional Car Insurance customers will have the option to renew and pay for their optional policy first, followed by their ICBC Basic policy (which must be purchased separately by law).
- Next, we’ll guide you to ICBC’s website where you’ll log in with your BC Services Card app.
- Before continuing, you’ll choose a broker to review your online policy renewal. This is where you can select BCAA. If you don’t see BCAA listed as a broker option, click on the find another broker button and select BCAA.
- Your renewal is complete once you’ve paid. If you’ve selected BCAA as your preferred broker, our knowledgeable insurance experts will review your policy and reach out to you directly if we have any questions or identify any concerns.
When it comes time to renew your car insurance, BCAA is here to help whether you choose to renew online, over the phone by calling 1.888.268.2222 or by visiting one of our many BCAA Service Locations.