BCAA Play Here: Top 10 finalist play spaces announced and ready for British Columbians’ votes
$300,000 worth of revitalized community play spaces in BC. Three play spaces with the most votes each receive a revitalization worth up to $100,000.
May 28, 2018, Burnaby, BC
BCAA reveals the ten finalist play spaces in this year’s BCAA Play Here initiative, a community investment program to benefit kids in B.C. by providing up to $300,000 to rejuvenate three play spaces in need.
“The nominations were well-thought-out and showed a strong need for better play spaces throughout B.C.,” says Shawn Pettipas, BCAA’s director of Community Engagement. “BCAA recognizes that play spaces aren’t just for kids, they’re a place for the community to get together and the nomination of each finalist made it clear how a revitalized space would significantly impact families and the entire community.”
Narrowed by a judging panel from hundreds of nominations, this year’s finalists are:
- Brilliant Cultural Centre, Castlegar
- Cache Creek Elementary School Playground, Cache Creek
- Discovery School Playground, Victoria
- École Entre-Lacs Natural Playground & Outdoor Learning Lab, Penticton
- Halfmoon Bay Community School, Halfmoon Bay
- Mackenzie Recreation Centre/John Dahl Park, Mackenzie
- Mediated Learning Academy, Coquitlam
- Pinantan Elementary School, Pinantan Lake
- The ORCA Bus mobile play space, Powell River
British Columbians can vote online for their favourite play space at www.bcaaplayhere.com which also includes details about each finalist. The three finalists with the most votes will be awarded a play space revitalization worth up to $100,000 furnished by BCAA. Voting closes June 17, 2018 and the winner will be announced June 21, 2018.
BCAA Communication Specialist
The most trusted organization in British Columbia by its Members, BCAA serves 1 in 3 B.C. households with industry-leading products including home, auto and travel insurance, roadside assistance, Evo Car Share and full auto service at BCAA’s Auto Service Centres. BCAA has a long history focused on keeping kids safe on the road and at play through community programs such as its School Safety Patrol, Community Child Car Seat Program and BCAA Play Here. Please visit bcaa.com.
About BCAA’s Community Impact Programs
Part of BCAA's mandate is to protect kids throughout British Columbia. We do this by:
- Keeping children safer in school zones, with student School Safety Patrollers across the province.
- Distributing thousands of reflective armbands around Halloween to make kids more visible to drivers.
- Providing Members with 'Slow Down, Kids Playing' signs to encourage safer driving in residential areas.
- Providing better places to play for children across B.C. through BCAA Play Here.
- Educating thousands of people a year across B.C. on the proper use and installation of child car seats and donating thousands of new child car seats over the last five years to reach families in need.