BCAA Play Here to provide $360,000 of play space revitalizations
More winners this year: nominate a play space by April 28
Burnaby, B.C., April 8, 2019 – BCAA is looking for play spaces in communities across B.C. in need of sprucing up. BCAA Play Here is back for its fourth year with $360,000 of play space revitalizations up for grabs. Nominations are open until April 28 with a public vote to decide the winning communities in June.
This year, six finalists will face the public vote and all six will win, thanks to new runners-up prizes made possible by Evo Car Share (created by BCAA).
- 3 winners: each receives a revitalized play space worth $100,000
- 3 runners-up: each win money towards making their play space projects a reality:
- 4th place - $30,000
- 5th place - $20,000
- 6th place - $10,000
“Every community deserves a great place where kids can play. This year, we want to reward all our finalists for their passion and campaigning to improve their local play spaces,” says BCAA Shawn Pettipas, BCAA’s Director of Community Engagement.
He adds that BCAA is hoping for some outside-the-playground thinking. While traditional play spaces are always welcome, other ideas are too – from an outdoor classroom to a music room or a sports court – any space that needs to be revitalized, where kids can connect, create and exercise, is a contender.
Since the program started, Pettipas has seen first-hand the difference transformed play spaces have made in communities across B.C. and he has a tip for communities with projects in mind: “Work together as a community,” he says. “There is nothing better than seeing a play space where the entire community feels full ownership. It’s for the kids of course, but happy kids make a happy community. That’s what I see in our winners, every time.”
How does BCAA Play Here work?
1. Nominate (April 8 - April 28). Non-profit community groups can nominate a play space in need of an upgrade at BCAAPlayHere.com. B.C. residents are encouraged to contact their local non-profit community groups about a play area they’d like to nominate.
2. Eligibility. You can nominate any play space in the province that needs rejuvenation. Examples include: a playground, park, outdoor classroom, music room or after-school study area—any space in your community, indoors or outdoors, where kids can go to learn, have fun and develop valuable life skills. The contest is open to all communities – urban or rural, big or small.
3. Finalists. A panel of judges shortlists nominations and presents 6 finalists for an online public vote.
4. Online public vote. Communities share their stories across the province and British Columbians vote for a play space project. Winners will be the top three finalists with the most verified votes.
BCAA Play Here nominations and finalists will be online at BCAAPlayHere.com and we’ll announce the three winning projects and three runners-up on July 2.
To help a nomination stand out, BCAA provides tips for communities preparing their submissions:
- Be descriptive. Provide as much background information as possible and clearly highlight what the community’s need is, including what needs to be updated and the impact a revitalized play space would have on your community.
- Be visual and creative. Photos and short videos are impactful and great ways to tell your story.
To nominate a play space in your community for BCAA Play Here, visit BCAAPlayHere.com.
Important 2019 BCAA Play Here dates:
- Nominate: April 8 - 28
- Voting: June 3 - 23
- Winners announced: July 2
The most trusted organization in British Columbia by its Members, BCAA serves 1 in 3 B.C. households with industry-leading products including home, auto and travel insurance, roadside assistance, Evo Car Share and full auto service at BCAA’s Auto Service Centres. BCAA has a long history focused on keeping kids safe on the road and at play through community programs such as its School Safety Patrol, Community Child Car Seat Program and BCAA Play Here. Please visit bcaa.com.
For further information or to schedule an interview, please contact: