hit the OPEN road around the world
Advantages of carrying an IDP?
An IDP gives you an extra form of photo identification, as well as providing a translation of your valid Canadian driver's licence into 10 different languages. Most international car rental agencies will request an IDP, even though one may not be required to drive in their country. If you’re planning on renting a vehicle in a country where English isn’t an official language, we recommend you get an International Driving Permit.
How do I get an IDP?
You can only receive an IDP if you are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid Canadian provincial driver's licence. In addition to meeting these conditions, you’ll need:
- Two (2) passport-sized photos. Available at your local BCAA.
- An IDP fee payment of $25. This fee can be paid by cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- A completed and signed CAA IDP Application form. Applications may be completed in person at your local BCAA however we recommend that you print and fill in the application prior to your visit to expedite your transaction time.
If you have already left Canada or are unable to visit one of our locations, and require an IDP, to avoid delays, please follow the process below.
If you are unable to visit a BCAA Location
An IDP can be mailed to you via regular Canada Post, or Xpresspost. If you chose Xpresspost, contact us first to get courier cost and delivery time, then proceed with the steps below.
Getting an IDP when already outside of Canada
If you are already travelling outside of Canada and require an IDP, you can obtain one by mail. The following reasons are examples of when the mail option could be used:
• Lost your IDP and require a new one
• Need to get a new IDP because the one you have expired
• Didn’t know you needed an IDP until after you arrived at your destination
The following steps indicate what’s needed to have an IDP mailed to you:
- Complete an IDP Application with an original signature
- Photocopy of valid Canadian Driver’s Licence (Front & Back)
- Two (2) passport-sized photos. They must be full-face front view and identical photos. Photos must also be on photo paper – Computer generated scanned photos are not acceptable.
- Mail completed form, photocopy of valid Canadian Driver’s Licence, and photos along to BCAA Sales Support & Administration at 4567 Canada Way, Burnaby BC, V5G 4T1.
- Credit card payment of $25 for IDP + courier fees. A member of our team will contact you to process the payment once we have received your completed form, photocopy of Canadian Driver’s Licence and photos.
IDP courier fees and delivery timing will vary depending on shipping address. Please allow 3-6 business days upon payment confirmation for arrival. The following courier fees apply.
|UK & Western Europe||$60|
|Australia & New Zealand||$65|
BCAA is the exclusive provider of IDPs in BC. This is a public service available to Members and Non-Members.