BCAA Members save 20% on emergency kits and supplies for home and personal use, and buy online with our rewards partner F.A.S.T. (First Aid & Survival Technologies Limited). Learn more at www.bcaa.com/emergencykit.
Either put your own kit together from scratch (use the Emergency Management BC (EMBC) list for what to put in it), or buy a ready-made kit to customize.
Be sure to choose a 72-hour kit with enough supplies for everyone in your household and consider how easy it is to carry with you if you need to evacuate. You might divide supplies into several packs so everyone can help shoulder the load.
Standard emergency kits come with survival basics but think beyond that and add some personal touches and comfort items. What’s important to you? What small items could make your life easier and lift your spirits during challenging times?
Extras to consider:
- Cash – small notes
- Equipment for any family members with disabilities
- Extra clothes and shoes
- Rain/snow gear
- Baby supplies like diapers and wipes
- Comfort items for children like stuffies or blankets
- Pet food (learn more about how to prepare for your pets from EMBC)
- Bar of soap and some toothbrushes
- Candy or other treats with a long shelf life
- A pack of cards or other activities
- It’s tempting to add all the things you enjoy at home, but keep in mind that you may need to carry these kits, so keep the weight manageable.
Store your kits somewhere easy to reach. Have one in your home (near an exit is a good location), and one in your car. You could also keep one at work.
Ensure everyone in your household knows where the kits are, and which ones they’re responsible for.
Emergency supplies don’t last forever. Every year make sure to check expiry dates and refresh water, food items and batteries.
Doesn’t it feel great to cross that off your to-do list?
Did you know that in the event of an earthquake or disaster, you’ll need to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours before emergency responders might arrive? Ensure you’re prepared with an emergency kit in an accessible location in your home, car, or workplace.
Enter to Win
Enter to WIN
emergency preparedness package worth $300
Enter to win an emergency preparedness package worth $300. Package includes a 72-hour emergency kit for 4 people plus a cash gift card to help customize your kit.