Get the most out of fall with our Changing Seasons Checklist!10/3/2022
As the warm glow of summer sun begins to fade into the cool breeze of autumn, there’s nothing more important than being ready for fall. Don’t wait till the toques and parkas come out to get on top of the changing seasons. Stay one step ahead of the game with our handy checklist.
From doing the smart things to protect your car, home and yard from the chilly temperatures to come, to getting hold of the harvest’s tastiest treats from our BCAA Rewards Partners, we’ve got it planned out.
And get ready to raise the roof with our exclusive Member deal of up to 30% off single game tickets to watch the Vancouver Canucks go for a long-awaited playoff run (fingers crossed!)
It’s time to tick off all these fall activities and more in our Changing Seasons Checklist.
Get your car prepped
Fall is a crucial time to get your vehicle ready for winter, especially since many BC highways require winter tires and chains after October 1st (we’re looking at you, Yellowhead, Sea to Sky, and Coquihalla).
First up, beat the rush and get winter road ready. Some of the most common calls for BCAA Road Assistance during winter are for dead batteries and tires being flat, underinflated, having poor tread or being in poor condition. Be the boss of winter driving by doing the following:
- Install your winter tires – and save $100 when you buy a new set of tires, plus a wheel alignment
- Check your battery before the cold weather moves in
- Stock a winter driving emergency kit in your trunk
- Avoid the top 10 winter driving ‘snow pas’
- Learn how to avoid BC’s five most common winter driving problems
- Book an appointment for a Fall maintenance service at a BCAA Auto Service Centre in Kelowna, Nanaimo, Victoria or South Surrey. You’ll get honest auto service advice when you bring your car into a BCAA Auto Service Centre.
Fun fall activities you can enjoy at a discount
Once your car is prepped, hit the road to one of many BC fall events and activities where your BCAA Membership gives you a ton of discounts, like the below:
- Embrace those fall flavours with a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Blenz Coffee and upsize for free.
- It’s never too cold for ice cream! Try a scoop of Apple ‘n’ Spice at Marble Slab and save 15% .
- Hockey season is back! Save up to 30% on Vancouver Canucks single game tickets.
- Get ahead of the season’s top trends and receive expert advice on improving your home at the Vancouver Fall Home Show (Oct 20th-23rd). Buy tickets online before October 16 to get 55% off adult admission.
- Sometimes a movie night is simply the best option. Save 30% on movie night bundles at Landmark Cinemas or get discount Freshslice pizza for a cozy movie night at home.
- Going on a road trip this fall? Save up to 25% on BCAA Rewards partners like car rentals, YVR parking, and hotels.
Inside and out, get your home ready for fall and winter
Fall is all about transitions and being ready for what winter will throw at you. Use these crisp sunny days to get your home fixed up and maintained now. Here are:
- 7 smart ways to improve your backyard (and how to make the most of your outdoor space this winter), including adding an outdoor fireplace, firepit, patio roof, and plants that bloom in winter like pansies, dogwood, and heather.
- 25 ways to enjoy your garden this winter, including planting evergreens and winter veggies like kale and cabbage.
- 13 ‘To Dos’ on your fall home maintenance checklist, including sealing air leaks, checking your fireplace, furnace, and safety plans, and fixing your walkways.
- How to insure your home with BCAA to get peace of mind that you’re covered for the unexpected like fire, water leaks, theft, damages, and extreme weather events. Save 5% if you buy online. Plus, BCAA Members save up to 20%.
Take a scenic drive to see BC’s fall colours
The one thing that really stands out about fall are all of those colours. To see the trees at their finest, there’s no better time for a road trip in beautiful BC. Here are:
- Five great road trips around the province, including the Sunshine Coast and Harrison Hot Springs
- 10 great restaurants and food experiences on Vancouver Island, including Saveur Restaurant in Victoria, and The Pointe in Tofino
- Even more great Vancouver Island travel experiences
- Eight getaway cabins that are perfect for the season
October 20 is the Great British Columbia ShakeOut – make sure you’re earthquake ready
It’s not something that we ever want to think about but, at this time of year, earthquake preparation is really important. While nature can be unpredictable, there are valuable things you can do to help protect your family and home.
It’s easy to learn the essential earthquake drill: Drop, cover and hold on. Get in some practice by registering for the Great British Columbia ShakeOut at 10:20am on Thursday October 20th and learn about our new partnership with the BC Earthquake Alliance.
Have a safe and happy Halloween
It’s one of the most fun times of year, and we 100% expect to see a lot of Top Gun costumes this Halloween. Make it a great, safe night for your little Maverick, She-Hulk or Dr. Strange by checking out:
- How to have the best & safest Halloween, featuring tips like ‘Plan your route’ and ‘Make sure your goblin can see out their costume.’
- Make sure you know how to be safe (and seen) on the roads this Halloween
- Get the pets involved with our list of 5 DIY Halloween Pet Costumes
There you go, loads of ways to enjoy the greatest season of (f)all in BC. Wherever you roam this autumn, take BCAA along for all your life’s journeys! With the BCAA Mobile App by your side you'll not only find great Member exclusive savings near you but you'll be able to get faster access to Roadside Assistance in case of the unexpected. Download the app today!